You know, we got into this recession because the American people were encouraged to spend well beyond their means. Now our government thinks that we can get out of it by spending even more. I believe the axiom "when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging" needs to be branded on every moron in Congress who voted for this bill. I am happy to report that not a single Republican in the House voted for the bill. As for the three Republican senators that did vote for the bill, they probably won't get past the next Republican primaries.
Below are a few of my favorite items in this bill. Can anyone tell me what these items have to do with economic stimulus? Remember, the Democratic scaremongers are saying that we'll sink into a depression without this bill.
- $176 million for renovating Agricultural Research Service buildings
- $290 million for flood prevention
- $1.4 billion for wastewater disposal programs
- $295 million for administrative expenses associated with food stamp programs
- $1 billion for the 2010 Census
- $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges and libraries
- $650 million for the digital TV converter box coupon program
- $2 billion for Byrne Justice Assistance Grant program
- $1 billion for the Community Oriented Policing Services program
- $1 billion for NASA (much of which I believe is supposed to go to "Global Warming" research)
- $300 million to purchase scientific instruments for colleges and museums
- $400 million for equipment and facilities at the National Science Foundation
- $3.7 billion to conduct "green" renovations on military bases
The Democrats even sneaked in several new health care provisions in preparation for socialized medicine. I advise you to read the article I've linked to (I hope you're not too attached to your grandparents or any other elderly relatives).
Do you know where Obama and the Democrats are leading us? Here's what Newsweek (a liberal rag) is saying: